Art helps me to reconcile my past whilst my goals push me into the future

Stay home and do nothing

This post is a more serious than normal.  At the end of it I’m going to make a suggestion for anyone reading this that can make a massive difference to the world whilst costing you nothing more than a few moments of your time one evening.

I wish that I could think of something really funny to post this week.  Being able to do so would provide the perfect antidote to the conversations at work.

If people aren’t ranting to release their stress from the multiple projects at work, they’re instead discussing foreign affairs and especially the recent events in Paris, France.

I try to keep out of any discussions at work merely for the fact that political arguments in the workplace can be divisive.  There used to be someone who worked with us who would get quite angry when people did not agree with his views.

As far as I am concerned everyone can do exactly what they want so long as what they do  doesn’t affect anyone else’s freedoms.

Using this basis as my moral code, I know it’s not okay to spend the weekend in a football fan mob physically attacking passers by for no reason but for the love of a fight.  Yes, this obviously affects the freedoms of others.

But it goes further than this.  Everything that each of us decides to do has the potential to affect the freedoms of someone else.

Driving your car above the speed limit in urban areas removes the pedestrians’ right for safety.  Hmmm…a lot of people seem to have difficulty realising this.

And what about buying chocolate or coffee that isn’t fairtrade?  What about the freedom of the coffee or chocolate workers not to be slaves?

And what moral stance robs the helpless more of their freedoms?  Do we ignore the atrocities being committed in Syria, Iraq, Yemen etc?  Do we ignore what happens to girls, women – and men – in these far away countries?  Do their freedoms mean nothing to us?

If their freedoms mean something then we are morally obliged to think of how we give our fellow humans freedom.

By the way, this is not an argument either for or against war.  I do have my own belief as to what we should do but I don’t feel it’s important to try and convince anyone of it via this blog.

Doing nothing is often the greatest way to remove the freedoms of others.  Recent British history is littered with people doing nothing and letting a few famous people continually sexually abuse children.  An extreme example, maybe, but I hope that you get what I mean about doing nothing rather than something…anything.

I’m not going to make a case for or against war on this blog.  What I will say is that I respect those who are ready to go to war as well as those who don’t feel that war is right.  So long as they have sensible reasons for their stance it’s not a simple answer to say that either is wrong.

The most important thing is to be doing something to make the world a better place.

If all you do is talk about what’s right and what’s wrong and not do anything yourself to help anyone else, then what are the consequences of your actions?

To paraphrase a saying that I once heard, evil wins when the good stay home and do nothing.

Right, I started off by writing that I’m going to suggest something that you can do to improve the world without spending more than a few moments of your time.  Well, if you cannot work in a hostel, in a poor country helping the needy or by giving to charity maybe you can write a letter.  And I mean a letter that can literally save a fellow human from being tortured.  Here’s something I’ll be doing.  It’s called Write For Rights and is organised by Amnesty International.

14 responses to “Stay home and do nothing

1. ~~ emzlee :) 20 November 2015 at 06:44

This is indeed very serious, Harry.

2. AlluringEby 20 November 2015 at 19:11

Thanks a lot Harry for always helping to make the world a better place. If only more of us can care more by doing more to help others, the world will be a greater place.

• Harry...the Man! 20 November 2015 at 19:14

Thank you, Eby. You and I are two ordinary people. We cannot change the world on our own, that is true. However, if thousands of ordinary people each do a little suddenly that becomes a lot!

3. d4rkn1ght 21 November 2015 at 14:47

Some people over here in the states, think that by doing nothing the problems will go away. 😦

• Harry...the Man! 21 November 2015 at 14:53

Yes, and in the UK too! It’s easy to say that you are a believer in people facing up to the problems in their own country when you can sleep without undue worry that your loved ones will still be alive at the end of the week.

4. Chrysopeleia 28 November 2015 at 17:36

I’ve stayed at home for the last two days, something I haven’t done in weeks, what I did now… I still don’t read news, I’m cutting myself out of everything I have no part in… Wrong or right? I have no idea. I’ve spend my day watching series, movies, playing with cats and chatting with friends… If something happened anywhere else beside my room, I wouldn’t know…

5. Pingback: I stayed home and done something | Sad Music, Dark Literature and Positive Thoughts 2

savedandblessedblog.wordpress.com/

Faith, Poetry, inspiration, everyday life, spiritual, Love, Christian, Bible

poetry & prose by Tim Miller

La Audacia de Aquiles

A DAILY RITUAL OF WRITING

lovekira1996

Some things can't be said out loud. So, I write them down. :)

Sharing my cancer journey with you.

Chape Personal Trainer

subacati

This WordPress.com site is the cat’s pajamas

The WordPress.com Blog

The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.